Archaeologists studying the Book of Aughra hypothesized that Thra may have been triangular in shape, in line with the indigenous inhabitants' patterns of thought. However, this did not explain the planet's lack of glaciated regions, which would have theoretically formed at the triangle's apexes. It was largely unknown if Thra even rotated. It was orbited by the Three Suns; the Great Sun, the Dying Sun and the Rose Sun.
- Main article: Skarith
A vast landmass containing the Crystal and consisting of seven main regions, each with a distinct environment and nourished by a Great Tree. It was the homeland of multiple sentient races, including the Gelfling, Podlings and Arathim.
Field of FireEdit
- Main article: Field of Fire
A hostile valley of molten rock which later became home to the Makraks.
- Main article: Mithra
A volcanic area beneath Skarith, inhabited by the Firelings.
Age of InnocenceEdit
Age of HarmonyEdit
- Main article: Age of Harmony
A thousand trine after its formation, the Fallen urSkeks arrived on Thra through the Crystal during the first Great Conjunction. Although the urSkeks desired to return to their homeworld, they could only do so during another Conjunction. Thus, for the next one thousand trine, they assisted both Aughra and the Gelflings in their technological development, allowing the former to study the movements of astral bodies, and the latter to cross oceans and colonize much of the planet.
Age of DivisionEdit
- Main article: Age of Division
When the time came for the urSkeks to return home, the darker halves of their natures prevented them from entering the Crystal. Instead, they were split into two new races; the cruel Skeksis and gentle urRu. The Skeksis took control of the Castle, while the urRu took refuge in the Valley of the Standing Stones. The Skeksis cracked the Crystal, chipping off a shard and thus infecting the world with the Darkening.
The Skeksis and the Gelflings formed the Alliance of the Crystal, though the aging Skeksis eventually began to capture Gelflings for their essence. When the Gelfling elders prophesised that one of their own would heal the Crystal and reverse the Division, the Skeksis initiated the Garthim War, aiming to exterminate them all. The species was ultimately cut down to a mere two individuals; Jen and Kira.
Jen's quest to restore the shard to the Crystal began after the death of his urRu master urSu, who instructed him to find Aughra before the Three Suns met again. Jen took the shard from Aughra, and encountered Kira. Together, they rendered the Crystal whole again, and the urSkeks departed to their homeworld, leaving Thra green and verdant again.
Age of PowerEdit
- Main article: Age of Power
Jen and Kira's rule as caretakers of the Crystal saw the re-emergence of the Gelfling, though their keeping of Skeksis artifacts and abuse of the Crystal maintained scattered pockets of the Darkening in some areas. Their accumulating of offerings to the Crystal prevented its light from nourishing Mithra's Mother Sun, causing the Great Dim which nearly resulted in the extinction of the Firelings.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Froud, B. (2003). The World of the Dark Crystal. Pavilion Books. ISBN 1-86205-624-2
- ↑ Froud, B., Holguin , B., Sheikman, A. & John, L. (2011). The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Vol. I. Archaia. ISBN 978-1-936393-80-0
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Froud, B., Dysart, J., Sheikman, A. & John, L. (2012). The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Vol. II. Archaia. ISBN 978-1-936393-80-0
- ↑ "Time to Make...My Move" The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ Henson, J. & Oz, F. (dir.); Henson, J., Kurtz, G. & Lazer, D. (prod.); Henson, J. & Odell, D. (writ.) (December 17, 1982). The Dark Crystal (Motion picture). New York City, NY: Jim Henson Productions.