Far from the brothers' blinding lightGrottan lullaby 
Beneath the blanket of the long night
Grottans work in the dark and deep
Where the glow moss grows
And where crawlies creep
So lay down, my childling, and sleep
No need to fear
And no need to weep
The Grottan Clan was a Gelfling clan which dwelled underground in the Caves of Grot, which were gifted to them by the Skeksis after evicting the Arathim. Centuries of living in the caves gave the Grottans exceptional eyesight, though this made them sensitive to sunlight. In the Skeksis' artificially imposed hierarchy of clans, the Grottans were considered the lowest, and they rarely ventured to the surface world, a trait which lead many non-Grottan Gelflings to believe the Grottans had gone extinct. They were primarily a pastoral people who tended Nurloc herds and were generally not overly concerned with personal hygiene.
After the collapse of the Alliance of the Crystal, the Grottans were enslaved by the Arathim, who had allied themselves with the Skeksis in the hope of reclaiming their ancestral home. When it was revealed that the Skeksis intended the Arathim to die alongside the Grottans in the caves, now infested with the Darkening, the two factions made peace, assuring one another that they would share the caves in future. Both Grottans and Arathim would later join the Gelfling resistance during the Second Battle of Stone-in-the-Wood.
Other appearances Edit
In J.M. Lee's Song of the Dark Crystal, it is revealed that the Grottans and Vapra were once a single clan entrusted by Thra to preserve Gelfling law and history. Being a task too daunting for just one clan to manage, the Silver Sea clan split into Vapra and Grottan, with the latter being tasked with guarding the race's secrets and relics.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Age of Resistance – "End. Begin. All the Same.". Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Age of Resistance – "The First Thing I Remember Is Fire". Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Age of Resistance – "Time to Make...My Move". Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ Age of Resistance – "Nothing Is Simple Anymore". Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ Age of Resistance – "What Was Sundered and Undone". Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ Age of Resistance – "She Knows All the Secrets". Netflix. August 30, 2019
- ↑ Age of Resistance – "A Single Piece Was Lost". Netflix. August 30, 2019